January 2, 2010

Rhine valley view - Completed

Got to complete the first rhine valley view painting today. This is the other series that I will be working on this month, along with the waterlilies. I have some more images with nice views of the wine growing valley, with the Rhine as a backdrop and will be doing those soon. I hope to do a moonlight view as well, lets see. That depends on my confidence to do moonlight, which is currently zero.:-) As it is I have miles to go with daylight, and where do I begin with moonlight?!!

Evening sun at Assmannhausen


Evening sun at Assmannhausen
Acrylics on Canvas, 12 * 16 inches
Copyright Nithya Swaminathan


I have photographed this view from inside a cable car, with very bright light from the left. And in the photo, the entire upper left corner is too bright, almost white because of the glare. I felt that somehow grabbed too much attention, and I have reduced the intensity of the area. That helped me bring back the focus to the brightest spots in the vineyards.


Its been a long time since I did a big landscape, the last I did were all the tiny poppy fields, which itself was a long while back. I have tried to keep it looser than I always did, I like the effect it gives. I am also consciously working on improving my comfort with color, mixing and the likes. There's a long way to go, and I'd like to hear any comments or feedback.

1 comment:

  1. [...] in the wine growing regions along the Rhine. One of my very first paintings this year, “Evening sun at Assmannhausen” was also based on an early autumn view of the Rhine valley taken last year. This one is from [...]

    ReplyDelete

If you like it, share it!