January 5, 2010

34. Waterlily #8

My references for these paintings are all from the Wilhelma Park and Zoo, in Stuttgart, Germany. I have about 40 images clicked as randomly as I could, with no intention to paint them. Painting a flower scares me, if I have not mentioned that a million times before. I believe I have a strong, rough hand which will render a flower as anything but delicate. But then why on earth did I click so many snaps you wonder? I was in a complete hangover of Monet's waterlilies at the Musee D'Orsay in Paris. I was floored, and was unable to get up even couple of weeks later. :) So I clicked these snaps, with the hope that someday I could paint them. I did not expect that day to dawn so soon!

Waterlily #8


Waterlily #8
Acrylics on Board, 5 * 7 inches
Copyright Nithya Swaminathan


As I was sorting out my photos more than a year later, it occurred that I could give these a shot. And I so regret not having taken some more better snaps. The pond had lilies of all colors, yellow ones, white ones etc. My references though are mostly pink. If we go there sometime later, I should make it a point to click more snaps, with the intention of painting them!

The Wilhelma by the way is a really nice park, totally worth a visit and definitely so if you have a toddler. My little one enjoyed it to the core, and we enjoyed it too. They have a simulated Amazon forest, a butterfly park where butterflies come so close and even sit on you, and so on. And our favorite in the park was the little Polar bear, who enjoys a rock star status there.:) People flock and wait in long queues to catch a glimpse of him.:)

What do you think of this painting? Do let me know!

2 comments:

If you like it, share it!