February 6, 2010

76. Purple Beauty

This one is my favorite among the first batch of irises. The five paintings were completed in one day over a period of six hours or so, the longest studio times that I have put so far. I like this one better than the rest for a few reasons. Firstly, I tried not to make the background too contrasting with the flower, and I like the effect it gives. But more importantly, I am happy that I could achieve the desired effect with minimal use of the brush. Other than the frills of the flower that were done in the fag end, almost everything else was done only with the knife. By this piece I had kind of got the hang of the palette knife better, and could blend colors with relative ease. And so this was much more fun than the other pieces :-)

Purple beauty


Purple Beauty
Palette Knife on board, 5 * 7 inches
© Nithya Swaminathan


Let me know what you think!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you like it, share it!