February 2, 2010

61. Pears #8

I worked on this one a little differently. Normally I paint a mid tone for all the large shapes, and then go on to add darker as well as lighter values. Finally the highlights. I was watching a painting demo video yesterday where the artist was painting from dark to light. I have seen a lot of artists mention that they work like that, never tried it myself though. After I saw it in the demo, decided to give it a shot.

Pears #8


Pears #8
Acrylics on board, 5 * 7 inches
© Nithya Swaminathan


So this painting was done from darkest values to lightest values. Since the surface is already black gesso, the darkest were very easy to paint. Adding lighter values gradually was a rather interesting way to see the painting come alive. I will probably be doing more of these kind of studies to come. It was also much faster than my method of painting. This image was done in 45 minutes flat, from scratch.:)

Let me know what you think!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you like it, share it!