December 10, 2010

Reading by the lake III - Impressions of a European Summer

When I go out to shoot photos of people or places on a well lit sunny day, it is amazing how many of them actually get converted to paintings. Almost all the pictures barring a few have great lighting, good shadows and make really interesting subjects to paint. All that I generally do is push up the color saturation a bit and it gets even more exciting.



Reading by the lake III
Acrylics on Canvas, 10 by 10 inches
© Nithya Swaminathan


Compare that with taking pictures now, it gets really pathetic with uniform lighting, hardly any shadows and so on. Doesn't excite me much at all. I was painting a lot of snowy scenes the last couple of winters, but I am not so excited this time. I do have a lot of gorgeous snow references from our Austria trip though, and who knows, some of them could turn into paintings :)


I would love to hear your feedback on this one. And on the series as a whole. Do the "Impressions of a European Summer" pieces excite you? :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you like it, share it!