January 5, 2015

30 Paintings in 30 Days - #6


Making heads turn
Oil on board, 18 by 24 cm (approx. 7 by 9.5 inches)
30 Things about me - #6 - I love painting with the palette knife
Palette knife painting is something I discovered by accident a few years ago. I used to slap paint randomly and really liked the effect. But until last year, I did not pursue it properly. I tried the knife on just about every subject I could find and when they weren't really suited for some, I found myself frustrated. It was then that I decided that I would paint with the knife only when I feel it would work with the image, and not for everything under the sun.

Now I use the knife mainly for doing bird portraits and I find the effects fantastic. The knife gives a texture to the birds that suits the subject so well. There are very many roosters coming this year too.:) I try to mix up paintings with the knife and brushes, so that I don't lose touch with either. Check out a couple of detailed shots below.

Bee Eater - Detail 1


Bee Eater - Detail 2



0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you like it, share it!