March 5, 2009

Different Strokes - Sushi rolls

I was painting till late in the night, hoping to complete the remaining three pieces in my apple series. It was taking much longer, and I was too tired to continue after I signed two of the pieces. Just before going to bed, I just checked my blogroll to see if there are any new posts, and there it was, the new challenge at DSFDF, posted less than half an hour ago. When I went to see what was the reference image, I was hooked by Karin's pep talk. It is about painting with intuition, and I strongly recommend all artists to read it.

Sushi Rolls
Acrylics on Paper, 6 * 6 inches
Copyright Nithya Swaminathan


Now coming to this painting, I have not even seen what a sushi roll looks like. I was intimidated by the previous challenge, of the wigs. Wanted to give it a shot, but never really got to sit and plan my composition or anything. I would have felt the same way about this reference too, because I have never painted food before. I would have given it a miss, but Karin's post compelled me to give it a shot. I was so inspired by the post that I wanted to paint something immediately. Though I had packed my bags for the day, I reopened my paints and decided I was going ahead with it. I just went for it, following the shapes, keeping it all very loose. I did not sketch at all. The colors used here are all those I am using in my apples too, so just continued with paints directly. It was done in just 10 minutes. It was 12.26 am when I started, and after getting it to a recognizable shape I just decided to sign it. I did not want to get into any more detail. It was then 12.36. It is not very small, it is about 6 * 6 inches. Normally, even a sketch takes longer than this for me, and I was pleasantly surprised at myself for painting something so loose and so quick. I had great fun with this. Karin Jurick is such an inspiration, and if you haven't done it yet, please go and read her pep talk NOW.

2 comments:

  1. I love the colors in this painting ,Nicely Done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Judith. I thoroughly enjoyed myself with this one, done in a style very different from my usual.

    ReplyDelete

If you like it, share it!