March 24, 2009

Different Strokes - Having fun

This is my entry for the ongoing challenge at the Different Strokes blog. The reference is a subject Karin paints so well, a beach scene. I love her beach scenes as much as her gallery scenes. It is a new subject to me though, its been a while since I've done beach waters.

Having fun
Acrylics on Paper, 9 * 12 inches
Copyright Nithya Swaminathan

After very detailed painting with my still lifes, I wanted to really loosen up and paint this one. The reference is a very crowded one, with many people vying for attention. The focus would first go to the girl with the surfing board, as if in deep thought. But beyond the figures in the foreground, I was instantly attracted to these little girls having fun in the water. That's what the beach means to me, a place to really let yourself free. So I restricted my focus to these two girls, and had a lot of fun with the water too. Your comments are welcome.

9 comments:

  1. Wonderful job on the challenge Nithya! I love the colors you've chosen for the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice painting! I agree, the children playing in the water grabbed by attention too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great colors , I like your choice of cropping for the DSFDF challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Michelle and Dominique for your nice words.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful colors and nice handling of the waves. You really captured the feeling of fun and freedom with the girls playing in the waves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that you chose a part of the photo that most of us overlooked! Very playful and sets a nice mood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Carol, DEB and Garriott. Yeah Garriott, that was intentional to cover a lesser common region from the reference. And this caught my attention.

    ReplyDelete

If you like it, share it!