June 17, 2010

An iris from above - Original Palette Knife painting

After having painted a zillion irises, how could I not do one from my favorite angle, the top view? This one was a total blast, I like the abstract effect it gives, compared to all the others that mostly seem realistic. I just randomly played around with the colors and stopped just like that. This was done from a reference in the Wetcanvas image library. I had never closely observed an Iris prior to the spring this year, so forget looking at it from the top. So this was done at a stage when I had no knowledge of how this lovely flower would look seen from above. If I do it now, I might do it a bit differently. But then, that approach as abstract shapes would be lost and I would be trying hard to make it look like an iris. I like it this way for now :-) Let me know what you think.


An iris from above
Palette Knife on board, 5 by 7 inches
© Nithya Swaminathan
















0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you like it, share it!