February 1, 2009

Some more oranges - start of a series

Looks like I am not yet done with my share of the oranges. Picked up some luscious oranges this week, mainly for using them in some still life setups. Also, there was this lovely glass bottle at home, so I was playing around with them. I tried several combinations and liked quite a few, which cover the bottle and fruits in different angles. I like shadows with glass objects, they have so much color in them. So this was a lot of fun as we had some good sunlight too. I always prefer setting up still lifes in direct sunlight and not artificial light. Though the lighting changes very soon, it helps me get sharper images.
Here are a couple of quick sketches, first one from life and the rest from photos.

Shadow play 1
Colored pencils on paper
Copyright Nithya Swaminathan

Shadow play 2
Colored pencils on paper
Copyright Nithya Swaminathan

Shadow play 3
Colored pencils on paper
Copyright Nithya Swaminathan

These studies will be used as bases for paintings in future. I will also sort out some of the other images and do a few more studies.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you like it, share it!