February 15, 2009

Apples and Glass - WIP

My setup for my upcoming series is a very simple and straightforward one. It consists of one whole apple, two pieces of a cut apple and a glass of Apple juice. With great sunlight, I got some terrific reflections and gorgeous colored shadows of the backlit glass. This series will mainly focus on the shadows again, just like the orange and glass series. One difference though, is that the shadows are more richer in this one. And the setup occupies most of the frame, unlike the previous ones which has a lot of empty space.

Apples and Glass, underpaintings
Copyright Nithya Swaminathan

I am starting with 5 paintings, each 8 * 8 inches. This is the first time I am experimenting with the square format. I did not do a preliminary sketch with colored pencils this time, started painting directly. I started with a greyscaled underpainting for each one, to mark the values. Paintings will follow suit soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you like it, share it!