September 23, 2014

Doc's Window - Oil on board, 6 by 6 inches

I love the windows in this country, and the way people set up flowers hanging from the windows. They are so pretty and makes a walk in the neighbourhood so worthwhile. These bright red flowers were at the window sill at my doc. I was there waiting a couple of weeks ago, when I thought these flowers looked incredible bathed in the morning light. They just had to be painted. I clicked the window from both sides, so hopefully tomorrow I shall post the view from the "other side" :-)

Doc's Window
Oil on board, 6 by 6 inches
Click to buy
I painted this one very differently from how I usually do. I generally tend to establish my mid tones first and then go in for the lights and the darks. Today, I laid down all the darks using Burnt Umber and some Grey/Blues. The whole painting took shape almost monochromatic. I then finished it with the flowers. The little spots of Cad Red light were done at the very end. I decided to leave the background as it is, without adding any further detail. It looked finished to me and I did not want to mess it up further. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you like it, share it!